Advertisement

Floradix Iron and Herbs

topic posted Sat, September 20, 2008 - 11:05 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
I picked up some of this today, though Ive yet to try it, because Im borderline anemic and have some aversions to iron rich veggies. Ive been so tired lately and a friend recommended this. Anyone else try it? Do I really need it twice a day? Im not that dilligent with medication. Im a one-a-day-or-not-at-all person.
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: Floradix Iron and Herbs

Sat, September 20, 2008 - 11:28 PM
    I was anemic throughout my entire pregnancy. But, my anemia wasn't caused by iron deficiency. So, I stopped taking the iron. My dr had recommended the slow release iron though. I guess it doesn't cause constipation and nausea. Not sure about the FI and herbs.

Sun, September 21, 2008 - 12:22 AM
    i used it throughout my pregnancy and continue to use it now --full dose (twice daily). It is so easy to take and not hard on the body. I just remembered to take it 1st thing in the morning and before dinner. that worked for me.

i hope it works for you. there are mamas though who have more severe anemiic tendencies for whom this is not going to work. check with your go-tos (midwives, obs, etc) to see how this may work for you.

adding more iron rich fruits may work well for you as well such as apricots and strawberries. i was able to maintain healthy iron levels using floradix and diet (along with my prenatal vitamin) so that i never needed more harsh iron supplements.

i hope it helps!

Sun, September 21, 2008 - 3:16 AM
      You may already know this, but just in case, vit. C really ups iron absorption. So, try taking your iron dose with a glass of OJ or cranberry juice in the AM. Also, if you can, try to take it separately from your prenatal vit and calcium. Calcium and iron both tend to bind up other minerals, so you won't absorb as much of the other vitamins. Maybe try a different pill with each meal?

Good luck!

Elizabeth
      • Unsu...

Re: Floradix Iron and Herbs

Sun, September 21, 2008 - 8:59 AM
        i took floradix during my miscarriage and it worked WONDERFULLY. i lost A LOT of blood and afterwards got a blood test and my iron levels were really high.

its the only iron supplement i know of that is non-constipating. and we need all the help we can get with that during pregnancy.

one place i get my sups is

www.vitacost.com

floradix is expensive- it may be cheaper here.... i get my emergen-C here and my prenatals- so cheap! $5 flat rate shipping

Sun, September 21, 2008 - 8:24 PM
    i take floridex now... and it is very mild on my stomach... i couldn't stomach most prenatals and even hemaplex.....
    i only take it once a day though...

Mon, September 22, 2008 - 5:59 AM
    rainbow light once-a-day is my prenatal ... i love it.
    • Unsu...

Re: Floradix Iron and Herbs

Mon, September 22, 2008 - 10:52 AM
      Im on the rainbow light too, its great, never makes me blurfy.

Mon, September 22, 2008 - 1:56 PM
        i guess my only concern about added iron is its potential for causing hemorrhoids ...

try munching on pumpkin seeds, or almonds

Mon, September 22, 2008 - 9:12 PM
          Oh, reallly? too much iron=hemorrhoids? That's the first time I've heard of that. How odd...but, It kinda makes sense.

I have a blood disorder and can't take extra iron. It can be bad for the the baby and myself when pregnant. I have thalassemia minor. It just means my red blood cells are smaller and can't hold iron.

Hemorrhoids=no fun :(

Mon, September 22, 2008 - 10:39 PM
            best hemorrhoid avoidance technique...eat plenty of high fiber and somewhat laxative foods. straining to poop= pressure on eins in rectum = hemorrhoids.

anti-constipation strategy foods, most of whicha re also good sources of iron anyway..

big green salad with romaine lettuce, other darker greens, dressed with lemon juice, olive oil, and lots of raw garlic.go three bites past when you feel full. grated carrots on top are nic and colorful.. grated beets too though they taste a little grittier raw than carrots.

fresh blackberries and/or blueberries

stewed dried fruit, esp. apricots and prunes...cn use prune juice instead of water to ake iot really stool-softening
            aisins, especially natural foods raisins with seeds; I like the flavor on Monukka raisins way better than Thomson seedless.

fresh or dried figs.

black cherry concentrate added to juice and smoothies or a bowl of yogurt.

flax seeds ground in a lender and added to food, or soaked. they make a good egg substitute in baking.

unflitered, preferably raw fresh apple juice

legumes...whole peanuts with the skins, lightly roasted (raw peanuts are hard on the digestion),raw or lightly steamed garden peas (frozen is ok), whole or lightly mashed beans, you choice (I like pinto, garbanzo,and lima best. also blackeyed beans, fresh or dried.

yogurt or a nondairy cultured food like yogurt ,with a little bran, dried fruit, and molasses added.

drink plenty of good-tasting water. it'l help prevent constipation. apricot nectar (there are natural types without added sugar) makes a good treat; you an freeze it into sorbet or fruit ice too, yum.

I'm sure there are other remedies but these are soe of my favorite foods for when I am a little "slow to go."

thalesemia no fun either; I had a roommate who had a really difficult kind,. she was legally blind and had an arthitis that comes with it. teifically funny, intelligent person, a little hyper as a young woman.

Mon, September 22, 2008 - 10:45 PM
              Oh yes. She must have had the full blown version. The only time I am affected is when I try to run long distance or when i get preggo.

Those foods sound so yummy. I haven't been eating enough healthy foods. I am avoiding the 'roids, but I certainly don't want them to return. I need romaine salad and berries. Those sound the BEST.

I also LOVE dried figs on my salad. I like the crunchiness from the seeds.

Thanks for the tips.

Wed, September 24, 2008 - 8:24 AM
    I had to use Floradix in my late pregnancy due to anemia, I was actually taking double doses 2x daily at the request of my midwife... my hermaticrit was low (really low) and it was brought back up with Floradix within two weeks... I never had any problems with it, continued taking it till the bottle was gone, even if I did just get in one dose a day due to my extremely wonderful memory skills... =p but I did feel a LOT better energy wise when I remembered to take it 2x daily... it was amazing how different I felt just after I started taking it, it helped bunches!!
    Good luck!

Recent topics in "pregnancy and its ups and downs"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
HELP! Anjie 2 May 1, 2012
a month or so left! Lyla 4 January 16, 2012
small gestational sac Unsubscribed 12 January 1, 2012
"Birth Matters" Goofball Jess 2 August 19, 2011