Advertisement

raw unfiltered honey

topic posted Mon, May 26, 2008 - 6:36 PM by  <-·´¯`·.(¯`•...
Share/Save/Bookmark
I know this is not safe to give to children under the age of 2.... but can I eat it while pregnant and breast feeding..?? I am finding conflicting info on the net... from sites that say it can cause a spontaneous abortion to saying it's perfectly okay.

Help!!
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: raw unfiltered honey

Mon, May 26, 2008 - 10:57 PM
    depends on where your info is coming from.
    • Re: raw unfiltered honey

Tue, May 27, 2008 - 6:35 AM
      Well, I guess it's not that important. My mother-in-law just gave us a huge jar of raw blackberry honey and since I drink a lot of caffeine free teas, I thought it would be great to have the honey. But I will do without it for now.
  • Unsu...

Tue, May 27, 2008 - 6:35 AM
    With my daughter, my OB said that it was ok until the 3rd tri, but to stop until after she was weened from BF.

I use raw honey as an allergy treatment, so it was sort of medicinal for me to use it. I've moved to a completely different region and have yet to find a good bee farm that is local enough to give the benefits of the honey, so I don't have the issue this time around. Although I'd much prefer honey to taking 3 different "B" class medicines to do what Honey can in 1 teaspoon a day.

Fri, May 30, 2008 - 2:21 PM
    I'm pretty sure it's safe. The only thing unsafe about honey is the botulism spores, which are killed by the acids in your stomach, so I'm sure it's safe in both respects (pregnant and breastfeeding). Plus, it's chock-full of nutrients so the benefits far outweigh any possible risk in my opinion. Here is an article on honey that you might find interesting: www.parentingweekly.com/pregna...ess.asp
    • Unsu...

Fri, May 30, 2008 - 7:20 PM
      I went to a pregnancy forum thing last night and the Doctor there said it's ok for pregnant women, but not for infants - they want you to wait until kids are over a year

Sat, May 31, 2008 - 9:57 AM
    i'm not advising, b/c i couldn't get a more clear read than you did in your research. but i tend to trust raw foods as the basis of all health. i'm pretty sure pregnant mamas would have always taken raw honey if they could get their hands on it. and i don't think i'd personally be terribly worried about it, though i've veered away a bit from honey of late b/c i didn't like what i'd been hearing about bee parts in honey, about treatment of a lot of the bees, including having their honey taken away and replaced with sugar water and antibiotics. i figure it's labor theft. but if you know your source or don't care about that stuff, no biggie. and i still have some in my kitchen, though not raw. i won't toss it. will finish it or share it.

Recent topics in "pregnancy and its ups and downs"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
HELP! Anjie 2 May 1, 2012
a month or so left! Lyla 4 January 16, 2012
small gestational sac Unsubscribed 12 January 1, 2012
"Birth Matters" Goofball Jess 2 August 19, 2011